How to approach Prelims: Strategy Discussion - Part 1 [Weekly Insta Open Thread Discussion with InsightsIAS Team] 4751 Views

You are currently viewing a single post in this thread.

Dear Aspirants,
As a part of the "Weekly Insta Open Thread Discussion With InsightsIAS Team" initiative, we are bringing Aditya Sir and Thanmay Sir to the forum discussions with you. The topic of discussion is How to approach Prelims: Strategy. This is part-1 of 2 part series. You can put all your doubts to the Team. They are happy to help you. We request you to utilize this opportunity to the best. 

They will be available between 19:00 to 21 hrs on 16/01/2021.

We heartily welcome Aditya Sir and Thanmay Sir to the Discussions.

Regards,
Team InsightsIAS

Edit 1: Due to the enormous amount of participation from the aspirants, we are still pending with some queries unanswered. The Team will reply to all the queries by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your positive response.

Single Post

Hello Sirs

2021 will be my 3rd attempt. I am preparing for upsc along with full time job. I hardly get 6 hours a day for studying. Please help by clarifying my queries below:-

1. I am preparing for both IAS and IFoS. Since IFoS cutoff has always been a notch higher than that of IAS, it requires more number of questions to attempt in the paper. But if I attempt more questions and my accuracy is less, then I might miss both IFoS and IAS cutoff altogether. What should be my approach in this case?
2.  Since I am working, I don't get much time to prepare for mains. Though I was writing answers last year but considering the toughness of prelims, I have decided to focus on prelims solely from now onwards. Since I have not been able to clear prelims in my last 2 attempts, I have concerns for this attempt. However I am preparing my optional well and target to complete at least 80% before April. Will it impact my GS for Mains? 

Thanks in advance

Hello SSS,
As you are preparing for both Civil services and IFoS, it is better to dedicate completely for prelims preparation from the month of February. In meanwhile, try to finish Ethics paper by the end of January. Keep writing essay and ethics answers at least twice in a week or at least outline the structure of your answers so that after prelims your 500 marks is well prepared.

In terms of scoring high in prelims you should strategise on improving accuracy and eliminating of options as you have to attempt more questions looking at the nature of the questions asked in previous year papers.

You should analyse previous year papers to understand the relative importance of subjects and important topics within each subject.
Solve more number of questions to analyse your strength and weakness and work on them

All the best 

You do not have permission to reply to this post. Please login and continue Click here to login. If you dont have account Click here to register.