Philosophy optional 791 Views

You are currently viewing a single post in this thread.

To discuss Philosophy optional for CSE 2020&2021

If anyone is interested, to prepare for philosophy optional, we can do daily answer writing chosing one topic a day. I am willing to add a topic and its questions everyday and at the end of the day we can cross check answers and discuss the topic

PS  for prep, free notes are avaiable on mitrasias.com

Single Post

Moore

Defence of Common sense 

• Moore believe that skeptics and idealist unnecessarily complicate philosophy. According to him, if they are believed, normal life would become impossible. Hence he defend common sense beliefs
  • Moore don’t define common sense
  • Moore don’t believe that all beliefs accepted by people are always true but those being accepted by adult of average intelligence. Examples - 
  • I know that at present, there exists a living body which is my body
  • I have different experience regarding myself and other objects and so do other human beings
  • Material object exist, the earth exist
  • He provide 6 arguments
  • Universal acceptance widely accepted by all adults so cannot be denied
  • Compulsive acceptance - denying them will make life impossible
  • Argument from sense experience - sense experience proves the existence of outer world, while sometimes they deceive us, it is resolved and clarified by them
  • Argument from dream- dreams are only possible if we have real experience. Hence we can’t explain dreaming unless we wake up
  • Argument from strong conviction - we have strong belief regarding common sense beliefs
  • To avoid inconsistent of logical and pragmatic nature, we must accept common sense belief. Eg ‘we cannot accept another’s mind’ — acceptance of ’we’, ’space and time are not real’ however we act according to them

Criticism

• The defence would have been complete if he defined common sense belief systematically
  • He himself contends that beliefs like ‘god exist’ or ’sun is smaller than earth’ while believed by many cannot be accepted
  • His arguments are generic and not philosophically satisfactory
  • Convictions on compulsive acceptance are psychological criteria and not logical one

You do not have permission to reply to this post. Please login and continue Click here to login. If you dont have account Click here to register.